Halloween, the spookiest time of the year, offers a unique opportunity to step into the shoes of your favorite characters, creatures, and ghouls. While halloween costumes are essential, the magic of Halloween truly comes alive with the right makeup.
At The Pioneer Woman, we absolutely adore holidays (think Christmas, Easter, and the 4th of July!), but there’s something incredibly special about Halloween. It’s the one time of year where you can let your imagination run wild, put on a costume, and become a whole new character for a night. And while costumes are awesome by themselves, what really takes your Halloween look to the next level is some spooky and sparkly makeup!
You can go for a scary makeup look (like a creepy spider or a zombie), or opt for something cute and fun (like a colorful fairy or a melting ice cream cone). There are even easy tutorials for kids’ makeup, like turning them into adorable bumblebees or cute kittens – these are way simpler than making DIY costumes or toddler Halloween outfits! And if you’re not into full costumes, you can always go with a simple outfit and use your makeup to create a last-minute Halloween costume. Plus, face painting can be a super fun Halloween activity.
Whether you’re getting ready for a big Halloween party or going trick-or-treating with your little ones, we’ve put together 40 makeup looks that are sure to be a hit this Halloween. And here’s a tip: If you have sensitive skin or plan to wear the makeup for a while, make sure you have a gentle cleanser to take it off, and grab a good moisturizer to use afterward. Happy Halloween!
Halloween Makeup Ideas 2023
Whether you’re aiming for something cute and whimsical or dark and eerie, here are some creative Halloween makeup ideas to inspire your spooky transformation:
1. Classic Vampire Makeup:
- Pale skin with a hint of gray undertones.
- Deep red or black lips with sharp, elongated fangs.
- Dramatic, smoky eye makeup with red or purple eyeshadow.
- Dark eyeliner and mascara to create a haunting gaze.
- Optional: Blood dripping from the corners of the mouth.
2. Day of the Dead Makeup:
- Elaborate sugar skull face paint with colorful floral designs.
- Hollow black eyes with decorative details.
- Brightly colored makeup for the cheeks, lips, and nose.
- Cracks and spiderweb patterns painted on the face.
- Intricate detailing around the mouth and chin.
3. Witchy Makeup :
- Green or gray face paint with a witchy, aged appearance.
- Dark, smudged eye makeup with heavy eyeliner.
- Long, crooked witch nose with a wart.
- Deep, dark lips in shades of purple or black.
- Optional: Witch hat and a broomstick to complete the look.
4. Scary Clown Makeup:
- White face paint with exaggerated red cheeks.
- Dark, dramatic eye makeup with black eyeliner.
- Sinister smile with sharp, black-drawn teeth.
- Red or blue lips that contrast with the white face.
- Wild, colorful hair and a clown costume.
5. Classic Zombie Makeup:
- Pale, lifeless skin with hints of gray and green.
- Torn, ragged clothing with fake blood stains.
- Dark, sunken eyes with dark circles.
- Bloodied, rotting wounds and scars.
- Messy, tangled hair for that “just crawled out of the grave” look.
6. Mermaid Fantasy Makeup:
- Shimmering, iridescent face paint or body glitter.
- Shades of blue and green eyeshadow to mimic ocean colors.
- Dramatic, long false lashes.
- Pearls or sequins applied to the face as “scales.”
- Flowing, long hair and a mermaid tail costume.
7. Pop Art Comic Book Character Makeup:
- Bold, bright colors applied in a comic book style.
- Thick, black outlines around facial features.
- Ben-Day dots (small dots) for a classic comic book effect.
- Lined and contoured features for a 2D appearance.
- Costume to match your chosen comic book character.
8. Glittery Unicorn Makeup:
- Sparkling unicorn horn drawn on the forehead.
- Pastel-colored face paint in shades of pink, purple, and blue.
- Glitter applied liberally to the cheeks and eyelids.
- Rainbow-colored eyeshadow and lip gloss.
- Optional: Unicorn ears and a colorful mane headband.
9. Ghostly Specter Makeup:
- White face paint with a ghostly, ethereal glow.
- Hollow, dark eyes with a melancholic expression.
- Faded, almost transparent lips.
- Draped in tattered, white fabric for a haunting ghostly presence.
- Optional: Chains or props to enhance the ghostly aura.
10. Werewolf Makeup :
- Brown or gray face paint to mimic fur.
- Sharp, elongated werewolf snout and fangs.
- Intense, wild eye makeup with dark circles.
- Claw-like nails or prosthetic werewolf hands.
- Furry costume or clothing to complete the werewolf look.
11. Creepy Doll Makeup:
- Porcelain doll-inspired makeup with rosy cheeks.
- Dark, eerie eyes with cracked details.
- Red lipstick with exaggerated cupid’s bow.
- Optional: Doll-like stitches and button detailing.
12. Glowing Skeleton Makeup:
- Black face paint with glowing white skeleton features.
- Neon or glow-in-the-dark makeup for bones.
- Dark, hollowed eye sockets and nose.
- Glowing teeth and ribcage for an eerie effect.
13. Classic Cat Makeup:
- Cat-eye eyeliner with exaggerated winged tips.
- Whiskers drawn on the cheeks.
- Black nose and dark, sultry lips.
- Cat ears and a tail to complete the feline look.
14. Evil Queen Makeup:
- Dark, regal makeup with deep red lips.
- Dramatic, arched eyebrows.
- Contoured cheekbones and sharp features.
- A crown and a flowing cape for a royal touch.
15. Alien Abduction Victim Makeup:
- Gray or greenish skin with an otherworldly glow.
- Blacked-out eyes with a glossy, eerie appearance.
- Mysterious symbols or markings on the face.
- Aluminum foil “spaceship” hat or costume.
16. Melted Face Makeup:
- Face paint to create a melting effect.
- Dripping and sagging features.
- Exaggerated, warped facial expressions.
- Optional: Use prosthetics for a realistic melted look.
17. Medusa Makeup:
- Snakes coiled in your hair as serpentine locks.
- Green and gold makeup with a scaly texture.
- Dramatic, alluring eyes.
- A toga or Greek-inspired costume.
18. Mad Hatter Makeup(Alice in Wonderland):
- Eccentric makeup with mismatched colors.
- A colorful, oversized hat with accessories.
- Quirky facial details like a clock or tea cup.
- Layered clothing with a whimsical touch.
19. Classic Frankenstein’s Monster Makeup:
- Green face paint with stitches and bolts.
- Square head and neck makeup for a monstrous appearance.
- Dark, sunken eyes with blacked-out lips.
- Tattered clothing to complete the iconic look.
20. Sea Witch Makeup(Ursula from “The Little Mermaid”):
- Purple and black makeup with an underwater feel.
- Dramatic, sinister eyebrows.
- Dark, sultry lips with a wicked grin.
- Tentacle accessories and a shell necklace.
21. Pop Art Zombie Makeup:
- Classic zombie makeup with a comic book twist.
- Grayscale face with pops of red for blood.
- Comic-style contouring and shading.
- Ripped, blood-stained clothing.
22. Corpse Bride Makeup (Tim Burton’s “Corpse Bride”):
- Blue-tinted skin with a ghostly appearance.
- Hollow eyes with a touch of blue.
- Delicate, intricate face and body detailing.
- Tattered, wedding-inspired attire.
23. Maleficent Makeup (from “Sleeping Beauty”):
- Dramatic, horned makeup design.
- Intense, dark eye makeup with fiery red accents.
- Defined, angular cheekbones.
- A flowing, black gown and a staff for added flair.
24. Jack Skellington Makeup(from “The Nightmare Before Christmas”):
- White skull face paint with black lines.
- Hollow, black eye sockets and nose.
- Bat bowtie and pinstripe suit.
- Optional: Carry a pumpkin or a Sandy Claws accessory.
25. Alien Invader Makeup:
- Green or gray skin with a metallic sheen.
- Futuristic, otherworldly markings or symbols.
- Blacked-out eyes with glowing accents.
- Silver or metallic clothing and accessories.
26. Egyptian Queen Makeup:
- Gold and turquoise makeup with hieroglyphic accents.
- Dramatic, cat-eye eyeliner with bold lashes.
- A headdress or crown with embellishments.
- Flowing, regal robes.
27. Scary Scarecrow Makeup:
- Weathered, straw-like makeup with patchwork stitches.
- Dark, hollow eyes and a stitched mouth.
- A floppy, straw-filled hat.
- Tattered overalls and a plaid shirt.
28. Evil Jester Makeup:
- Sinister, clown-inspired makeup with dark eyes.
- Sharp, exaggerated grin with blacked-out teeth.
- A jester hat and colorful costume.
- Optional: Carrying oversized playing cards.
29. Headless Horseman Makeup:
- A decapitated illusion with a pumpkin head accessory.
- Dark, shadowy makeup with a chilling stare.
- Worn, tattered clothing and a long cape.
- A hollowed-out pumpkin to hold.
30. Haunted Forest Nymph Makeup:
- Earthy, woodland-inspired makeup with mossy accents.
- Dark, enchanting eyes with green and brown hues.
- Twig and leaf accessories in the hair.
- Flowing, ethereal clothing with natural elements.
31. Mad Scientist Makeup:
- Disheveled hair with wild gray streaks.
- Lab coat with faux science tools and gadgets.
- Crazy, wild eyes with oversized glasses.
- “Experiment” spills and stains on the coat.
32. Possessed Demon Makeup:
- Fiery, demonic eyes with red and black makeup.
- Dark, shadowy features with cracked skin.
- Horns and a wicked grin for a sinister look.
- Tattered, black robes and clawed hands.
33. Cursed Pirate Makeup:
- Weathered, pirate-inspired makeup with a rugged beard.
- Eye patch, scars, and missing teeth.
- Tattered pirate attire with a tricorn hat.
- Props like a cutlass or treasure chest.
34. Glamorous Hollywood Starlet Makeup (Zombie or Ghost):
- Classic Hollywood makeup with a ghostly twist.
- Glitzy, glamorous attire with a vintage vibe.
- Faded, ghostly appearance with pale skin and dark eyes.
- Optional: Vintage Hollywood accessories like pearls and furs.
35. Haunted Victorian Ghost Makeup:
- Victorian-era clothing with a ghostly twist.
- Pale, eerie makeup with dark, sunken eyes.
- Veil or lace covering the face.
- Ghostly, ethereal presence with a touch of mystery.
36. Werewolf Hunter Makeup:
- Grizzled, rugged appearance with a five o’clock shadow.
- Crossbow or silver weapons as props.
- Leather jacket and rugged clothing.
- Battle scars and dirt smudges for authenticity.
37. Enchanted Forest Creature Makeup:
- Earthy, forest-inspired makeup with green and brown hues.
- Leaves and vines woven into the hair.
- Antler or horn accessories.
- Flowing, woodland-themed costume.
38. Classic Jack-o’-Lantern Makeup:
- Pumpkin-inspired makeup with an orange face.
- Blacked-out eyes, nose, and grin.
- Pumpkin stem on the forehead.
- Pumpkin-themed attire or accessories.
39. Vintage Vampire (Dracula) Makeup:
- Classic Dracula makeup with a Victorian twist.
- Elegant, vintage clothing with a cape.
- Red-lined cape and sophisticated appearance.
- Refined vampire charm with a hint of menace.
40. Mythical Phoenix Makeup:
- Fiery, phoenix-inspired makeup with vibrant red and orange hues.
- Feathered accessories or wings.
- Glowing, fiery eyes with metallic accents.
- Flowing, fiery robes or dress.