Pillows for Neck Pain – Can They Offer A Good Night’s Sleep?
Neck pain can be caused by several conditions including poor posture and incorrect body alignment. Orthopedists, family doctors, and chiropractors all agree that there is a definite need for their patients to choose the best pillow for neck pain prevention and relief. The causes of neck pain may be related to arthritis, pinched nerves, spinal disc compression, cervical spine degeneration, whiplash or other physical conditions.
Any of these ailments can create problems that interfere with proper sleep. Using the best pillow for neck pain can often relieve the discomfort and address the cause of the problem in a matter of moments. The wrong posture or incorrect alignment of the neck and spine are also common causes of neck and back problems.
Incorrect posture during sleep is usually caused by a poor quality pillow that offers little to no support for the cervical area. As your spine and body relax during rest providing the support that ensures correct alignment is crucial to your health and comfort.
With clinical studies showing that people using the best neck pillow for pain relief do experience reductions and pain and discomfort more doctors and health experts are recommending these sleeping aids for their patients.
For many people, even a night or two with a quality neck pillow can relieve or improve chronic neck pain. Having the right pillow for neck pain relief means that you are giving the necessary support to your delicate cervical area and providing your spine with the alignment it requires.
These pillows are designed to maintain correct posture and spinal integrity as you sleep. By keeping the correct posture the inflamed tissues in your neck can repair and heal. There are even pillows that are designed as posture neck pillows that provide the correct support for the back of the head, shoulders, neck and thoracic spine. Inflatable pillows are also available at affordable prices.
Many people are uncomfortable sleeping in one position throughout the night. Others are light sleepers who find it difficult to position themselves without experiencing neck or shoulder pain the next day. Memory foam pillows help to ease the stress placed on sensitive vertebrae or to accommodate various head positions at rest. The unique properties of memory foam allow it to conform to the head and neck while offering ergonomic support. Many seniors will attest to the benefits of memory foam pillows for neck pain relief.
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration developed the foam for use in safety equipment aboard their spacecraft. NASA later released memory foam to the public in the 1980s where it was later re-engineered for consumer use. This space-age material is far denser than other foam used in mattresses and pillows. It is heavier and more supportive yet comfortable and firm. Firmness is measured by an indentation force deflection (IDF ) rating. The important thing is that the material offers maximum comfort for restful sleep.
Choosing the Best Pillow for Neck Pain Relief
Be sure to check out the many different varieties of pillows that are designed to relieve pressure on your neck vertebrae. This will help you make the right choice when you are ready to select the best pillow for neck pain relief. A therapeutic neck pillow or contour neck pillow can be used to reduce a variety of neck discomforts.
Over time this continued stress on the neck can create changes in the cervical spine that require medical treatment or prescription medication. Doctors have now discovered that using the best neck pillow for pain and discomfort can often be the key to permanent neck pain relief.
Sleeping problems are getting quite common these days. There quite a several people suffering from severe neck pain due to incorrect sleeping postures.
Considering that we spend a third of our lives sleeping, why not make it a blissful exercise? Having a neck pain would be almost certain to come in way of your sleep. Lack of sleep is the root cause of all diseases. Having said so, this ought not to be ignored. Read beyond to discover the best pillow for neck pain.
An ideal pillow should support the spine and keep it in an erect posture when the person is sleeping on his or her back. The pillow should not be too huge in width. This would keep the head in an upper posture which would cause a strain on the neck muscles. It also should not be too small as this would once again be stressful for the neck joint. The head and the neck should be supported at the right angle.
The posture ensures that the head and neck area in a neutral position should be opted for. Your sleeping posture would also determine the pillow which would be best suited for you.
It is also very important that you use just one pillow at a time. There are incorrect notions that having more than one pillow to support your neck in times of neck pain would give you relief. Always use a single pillow at all points of time.
Memory foam pillows for neck pain
Researchers and consumers alike have found that foam density is a better indicator of comfort than IDF. Memory foam pillows will usually be constructed with 3 to 4.5 pounds per cubic feet density.
You’ll find that the amount of memory foam will affect the comfort level of the pillow. Less than 2 inches thick won’t have much of an effect yet pillows over 6 inches in thickness would be too soft and dense for comfort.
You can get your pillows in three sizes; Regular full-size set, Queen Size and King Size sets. The individual sizes are designed to accommodate the specific bed and work well as a complement to memory foam mattresses. Regular full-size memory foam pillows measure 20 inches long by 14.5 inches wide and 5 inches thick.
The Queen Size pillow measures 26 inches long by 14.5 inches wide by 5 inches thick. The King Size pillow measures 30 inches long by 14.5 inches wide and 5 inches thick. Each set comes with two pillows along with zippered covers and is so comfortable, you’ll take them with you whenever you travel. The foam material is easy to care for and extremely durable.
Here are the list of 15 Best Pillows for Neck Pain in 2020
TOP 15 BEST PILLOWS FOR NECK PAIN IN 2020
1. Perform Pillow Medium Profile CSP-03 Memory Foam Neck Pillow
2. Arc4life CLTraction Cervical Traction Pillow for Neck Pain Relief
3. The Duck And Goose Co Down Alternative Pillow
4.Coop Home Goods FBA_COOPSTANDARD PREMIUM Memory Foam Pillow
5. Nature’s Guest SYNCHKG102309 Cervical Support Pillow
6. MARNUR Contour Memory Foam Pillow
7. Mediflow 1006-06 Original Waterbase Pillow
8. Sweetnight SN-P001-Q Pillows for Sleeping
9. Save&Soft polt-gel-2018 Gel Memory Foam Pillow
10. Sable Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
11. Cr FBA_HK-G-03 Sleep Memory Foam Contour Pillow
12. Comfort & Relax HK-C-01 Cool Gel Memory Foam Contour Pillow
13. LANGRIA Orthopedic Memory Foam Contour Bed Pillow
14. Maxchange Cervical Pillow
15. SONGMICS URBP03WC Pillow for Sleeping
Sleep apnea and sleeping issues
The memory foam material is inhospitable to dust mites, bed bugs and other critters are known to cause allergic reactions or triggers for asthma sufferers. These pillows also allow for comfortable sleep for those suffering sleep apnea or heavy snorers. The pillows conform to the head and neck yet allow for proper airflow which keeps the sleeper cool and dry.
There are three general sleeping positions adopted by humans; side sleeping, back sleeping, and stomach sleeping. You’ll generally find memory foam pillows accommodating these general positions. These cervical or contour pillows have a curved design that adapts to the neck, shoulder, and head and adapts to the positions taken by side sleepers as well as back sleepers. Cheap memory foam pillows may offer support but may be of questionable quality.
How to determine the best pillows for neck pain
There are five essential features that set the best memory foam pillows apart from the rest. You may not need all five features but it is good to know that they are available.
- Hypoallergenic pillows and covers help to protect against dust mites, pet dander, pollen and odors caused by household bacteria. Numerous studies have connected the prevalence of dust mites and pollen which can trigger allergic reactions and asthma attacks.
- Memory foam pillows that are designed for transferring heat away from the body which can cause discomfort and sweating during sleep the unique properties of quality memory foam pillows allow the sleeper to remain dry and comfortable throughout the night.
- High-density materials made of 100% viscoelastic or polyurethane foam tend to be more comfortable and last longer than inferior materials regardless of the name brand. A 3 to 4 pounds per square inch foam tends to be far more comfortable and durable than thinner, cheaper varieties.
- The best memory foam pillows for neck pain are offered in a variety of sizes and shapes to fit the needs of consumers. Many are designed for the unique sleeping positions mentioned above; offering maximum comfort and ease of use. You can find specific guidelines and recommendations online that covers body type and sleep position that helps you select a pillow that’s just right for your unique situation.
- Contour shaped memory foam pillows are available online as well in various shapes and sizes helps a person to make the right choices for their sleep conditions.
Finding out how to purchase your memory foam pillows online is not a difficult task. Be careful of cheap memory foam pillows that do not last long. You may have a bit of decision-making to do in regards to the variety and choices to be made but you are sure to find one that fits your needs among the various options. Take the time to help yourself get a very good night’s sleep with the aid of memory foam pillows.